A distant coma cluster holds more than 800 dark galaxies, scientists have informed after analyzing the data sent by the Subaru Telescope of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan. Based on their explanations, the galaxies are not visible because they are made entirely out of dark matter.
The Subaru Telescope was sent in space in 1999. Since then, it has studied the evolution of the surrounding galaxies sending vital information to the scientists working at the center.
The most recent data is related to more than 800 dark galaxies that appear to co-exist in a distant coma cluster. Researchers have also managed to conclude that the island formations are hard to notice because they are entirely made out of dark matter.
Apparently, the galaxies have lost great part of the gas that they normally require to create new stars and now the galaxies have to function in dim space. Nevertheless, the structure of many of the stars that exist in these galaxies is very similar to the ones in our very own Milky Way.
According to astronomers at the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, the said galaxies have only 1 percent visible matter, whereas the rest of 99 percent is made out of dark matter. The light that the stars therein has emitted allowed scientists to better understand the form and evolution of the galaxies.
They have all concluded that the 854 galaxies have more or less the same structure as our own galaxy, but they could be just as well fueled by another matter outside the coma cluster. Another difference would be that there are far lesser stars in these island formations than the Milky Way holds.
More precisely, the dim galaxies can only hold 1/1,000 of the stars that exists in the Milky Way. For that matter, the galaxies appear to be very extended and airy as they do not contain too many stars. More likely, these stars would also disappear in time as the galaxies lack the necessary gas to give birth to new ones.
The Subaru Telescope has spent 16 years in space, so far, and its mission will continue for many more years to come. The findings of the recent research will be published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters.
Image source: startistics.com
Latest posts by John Birks (see all)
- The TRAPPIST-1 System Is Seemingly Older Than Our Own - August 17, 2017
- The Magnetic Field Of The Moon Lasted 1 Billion Years More Than Expected - August 14, 2017
- Copper Cocktail Mugs Are Bad For The Health In More Than One Way - August 11, 2017