Health experts warn in a report about the dangers of marijuana edibles such as pot brownies and others after last year a man committed suicide. The death of the man has been blamed on marijuana.
On Friday, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that there may be a danger in consuming marijuana edibles. This comes after an incident that happened in March involving a 19-year-old man who jumped from a fourth floor balcony of a hotel in Denver to his death while being high.
Levy Thamba ate a whole marijuana cookie that had been bought from a legal and licensed marijuana shop in Colorado. The man ignored the seller’s recommendation to split the cookie up in small portions before consuming it. After he ate the cookie, the man started to display an erratic behavior, said witnesses. According to the coroner’s report in Denver the man jumped out of the bed all of a sudden and went outside the room where he jumped over the railing of the balcony.
The death of the young man was attributed to numerous injuries caused by a fall; however, the coroner also said that at the time of the incident, the intoxication from marijuana was a contributing factor as well.
After releasing the new report coming from the CDC, the agency has also confirmed that this is the first case of death linked to marijuana consumption in Colorado. Marijuana consumption was allowed as recreational use in the state since 2014.
The CDC said that the case shows a potential danger connected to the recreational use of marijuana edibles. The agency added that drinks, food and pills with THC are responsible for about 45 percent of pot sales. THC is the main compound in marijuana that makes you high.
An epidemic intelligence officer at the CDC and one of the authors of the report, Jessica Hancock-Allen said that if a person ingests a significant quantity of marijuana edibles in a very short period of time, that person risks to overdose and faces a higher risk of experiencing mental health effects.
Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency physician from New York said that the man did not ingest a lethal amount and that Thamba may have had an inclination or some hidden mental issues that they were not aware of and which were unmasked at the time that he ate the marijuana edibles.
The warning from CDC was published on Friday in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
Image Source: media.salon.com
Latest posts by John Birks (see all)
- Tiffany the Gorilla from Topeka Zoo Died of Cancer on Sunday - August 22, 2017
- The TRAPPIST-1 System Is Seemingly Older Than Our Own - August 17, 2017
- The Magnetic Field Of The Moon Lasted 1 Billion Years More Than Expected - August 14, 2017