(Mirror Daily, United States) – Gum, candy, lollipops, they all contain it, so don’t feed your dog with artificial sweeteners, or he might die.
The sugar substitute found in these types of food is called xylitol and, while it is not dangerous to humans, it does create a life threatening situation for dogs. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol used as a sweetener and it’s approximately as sweet as sugar itself, just that it has some 33 per cent less calories. That’s why it’s used in diet candies.
To humans it’s actually helpful, because not only that it’s diet friendly, but it also helps reduce our sugar intake, helps us in our never ending war against cavities and, probably most staggeringly, it was proven to reduce the incidence of acute middle ear infection in healthy children.
But however beneficial it might be for us, xylitol is capable of killing our dogs, so don’t feed your dog with artificial sweeteners, or he might die. This is what happened to Sam Caress and Jordan Pellet, who lost their beloved Luna this year in April, because she chewed a gum containing xylitol. The same tragic incident was suffered by a woman in the US, whose Labradoodle accidently found a pack of gum and chewed about twenty of them. Both four legged furry guys started vomiting and became lethargic. They were rushed to their vets, but nothing more could be done.
The effect xylitol has on dogs is very negative. It affects their liver and kidneys and can lead to these organs’ failures. Also, it can cause seizures and low blood pressure in our canine friends.
A few recommendations have been made by vets regarding this subject. They say that, first of all, people should really understand that their dogs are usually nosy little creatures that get bored very easily or get hungry all the time. Therefore, they will always scavenge around the house for stuff to chew, eat or play with. And candies and gum really appeal to them. This means that they should never be left within reach of your pets. So, either you read the label carefully when you buy them, to make sure they don’t have any xylitol in them, just to be on the safe side, or you simply don’t leave them lying around.
The second thing vets warn us about is the need to understand that we are different from our dogs. Our bodies and internal apparatus are built differently. What is good and safe for us is not always good and safe for our dogs and the other way around. We are different, therefore we should eat different. So giving gum and candy to your dog is probably not a good idea to begin with.
Image Source: www.peanutonthetable.com