An 8-year-old boy from New Hampshire ended up in the hospital with severe burns on 15 percent of his body after trying to recreate a YouTube stunt. According to the hospital’s spokespersons, James Ditucci was brought in with second-degree burns after covering his body in hand sanitizer and lighting it on fire, as part of a new Internet trend called the Hand Sanitizer Challenge.
James Ditucci, an 8-year-old boy from New Hampshire, is lucky to be alive after an incident which took place on Monday morning. Tasha Ditucci, James’s mother, told a local news outlet that everything started on Sunday evening.
Her 8-year-old son had organized a sleepover party with his older brother and invited his cousin to attend. The kids stayed up all night, surfing the Internet, and watching funny clips on YouTube.
Sometime during the morning, the boys probably discovered a new Internet trend called the Hand Sanitizer Challenge. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this new YouTube stunt, the Hand Sanitizer Challenge implies covering parts of your body (especially hands and chest area) with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer and then setting it ablaze using either a match or a lighter.
The purpose of this ‘game’ is to try to extinguish the flames as fast as possible. As stupid and reckless as it may seem, hundreds of people from all over States have already tried to pull off this new YouTube stunt.
Needless to say that many ended up in a hospital’s emergency room with severe burns. Unfortunately, the same thing happened to young James Ditucci from New Hampshire.
As his mother recalls, on Monday morning, the woman heard a blood-chilling scream coming from the boy’s room. A few moments later, James rushed down the stairs telling his mother what he did.
The child was immediately rushed to the hospital, where he received medical care for his injuries. According to James’s doctors, the YouTube stunt left the child with severe second-degree burns on approximately 15 percent of his body.
However, the boy was lucky that his brother and cousin were nearby to extinguish the flames on time. One of the doctors who treated James’s burns said that if the children waited one more minute before putting out the flames, James would not have survived.
The child’s condition is stable, and the doctors said that he is responding well to treatment. However, he will have a long recovery ahead of him.
Image source: Pixabay
Latest posts by Melissa Gansler (see all)
- The Milky Way Seems to Have A Massive Exoplanet At Its Core (Study) - November 8, 2017
- Teen Moms Have the Highest Risk of Developing Heart Disease Later in Life - November 3, 2017
- Drinking Red Wine Regularly Might Increase a Woman’s Chances to Get Pregnant - October 29, 2017